Kalamazoo Guardianship & Conservatorship Attorney Provides Direction and Support

Protecting those who need it most

If you have minor children or an aging family member who requires the care, supervision and assistance of another party, a guardianship or conservatorship may be the best option. McIntyre Law Office, PC focuses on your individual circumstances and needs. I can explain your legal options and help you understand how to achieve your goals and protect your loved ones by creating a guardianship or conservatorship.

Power of attorney

If you are leaving for a short trip or lengthy vacation without your children, a power of attorney is a vital document to leave with the person caring for your children. A power of attorney allows a parent (or guardian) to transfer the power to make decisions, including medical decisions, regarding the child. A power of attorney does not inhibit or limit the parent’s ability to act, and it is not established in court proceedings. A power of attorney cannot exceed a period of six months.

Guardianship and limited guardianship

When they exist, parental estate plans generally include guardianships for minors. The parents appoint a family member or other third party who takes control of the person or the property of their children, or perhaps both, if both parents of the child are unable to care for the minor themselves. The two main types of guardianships are:

  • Appointed guardian. A guardianship may be created by parental appointment or court appointment. A parent can appoint a guardian for minor children in a will or other writing executed by the parent and attested to by at least two witnesses.
  • Limited guardian. A limited guardianship can be created by the probate court with the consent of the parents. The parents must voluntarily relinquish their parental rights during the limited guardianship. A limited guardianship placement plan must establish:
    • Why the parents are requesting the limited guardianship
    • The parenting time and contact that may occur between the minor and parents while the limited guardianship is effective
    • The arrangements for financial support of the child
    • Other provisions agreed to by the parties

As an experienced wills and trust attorney, I have experience handling guardianships. I can walk you through the process and ensure that you understand what to expect each step of the way.

What is a conservatorship?

A conservatorship grants a person the authority to make financial or healthcare decisions for an individual who is no longer capable of making those decisions due to a mental or physical incapacity. A conservatorship can be over the person, the estate, or both. The person who is appointed by the court to make decisions is called the conservator, and the person about whom decisions are to be made is called the conservatee.

Contact a skilled attorney to help with your guardianship or conservatorship matter

If you need assistance creating a guardianship or conservatorship, contact McIntyre Law Office, PC at 269-459-1400 or online to schedule an initial consultation. The office is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and flexible hours are available by appointment.

McIntyre Law Office, PC
6967 West Q Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI, 49009 USA